High speed horizontal machining centre
At IMTS, MAG Hueller Hille will demonstrate a high speed, horizontal machining centre with axis travels of 90m/min and a B-axis speed of 80 rev/min.
At the USA’s IMTS 2008 machine tool show, MAG Hueller Hille will show its NBH 5+ Speed horizontal machining centre (HMC) with 90m/min linear axis feed rates and 80 rev/min B-axis Already equipped for integrating into cell systems, the HMC’s work envelope is 800mm diameter by 1000mm high
The NBH 5+ Speed HMC has a 15,000 rev/min machine spindle and an integrated chip conveyor.
The HMC is designed for machining large aluminium components, or multiples of components mounted in ‘tombstone’ or pillar fixtures.
The machine’s 500mm (19.7in) pallet clamping area handles part weights to 800kg (1,763 lb).
MAG Hueller Hille told manufacturingtalk that the 5+ Speed HMC will ensure the fastest in-cut times and lowest costs/part thanks to linear feed rate acceleration of 1G, a high-speed B-axis and a 3s chip-to-chip tool change time.
* Compact ‘footprint’ – the machine’s footprint is just 5.25m x 5.3m x 3m (17.2 x 17.4 x 9.8ft) for a work envelope of 800mm diameter by 1000mm high (31.5 x 39.3in).
Features of the NBH 5+ Speed HMC include the following.
* A one-piece cast-iron bed, heavily ribbed for exceptional rigidity and vibration damping.
* Equipped for HSK63A tool holders, the spindle delivers 35kW (47HP) power and 120Nm (88.5 lb.ft) torque in continuous duty.
* X-Y-Z travels are 890, 800 and 900mm (35, 31.5, 35.4in) respectively, on slip-free, pre-tensioned linear guides with integrated scales.
* Linear positioning accuracy is 0.007mm (0.0003in).
* Rotary positioning accuracy is 0.0028 deg (DIN ISO 230-2).
* The machine’s Siemens 840D CNC provides ample processing power for ‘look-ahead’ to maintain top speeds in curves and contours.
* Through-spindle coolant at 40 bar.
* A 134-tool magazine and an integrated spiral chip conveyor provide flexible processing capability and high-volume metal removal capacity.
The NBH 5+ Speed is one of three new HMC models that will be in the MAG Industrial Automation Systems booth.
* About MAG Cincinnati – MAG Cincinnati, a company of MAG Industrial Automation Systems, designs, builds and integrates advanced manufacturing solutions for the global aerospace, heavy equipment, energy and general machining markets.
The company’s broad machine tool line includes automated composites processing equipment, profilers, routers, large horizontal and vertical machining centers including 5-axis, multi-tasking and cells.
* About MAG Industrial Automation Systems – MAG Industrial Automation Systems (MAG) is a group of leading machine tool and systems companies serving the durable-goods industry, worldwide, with a large portfolio of highly-recognized and well-respected brands.
With manufacturing operations on five continents, MAG ranks as a leader in the global metalworking capital equipment market.
* MAG Cincinnati at IMTS 2008, McCormick Place, Chicago, Illinois, USA, September 8-13, Booth A-8218.